Friday, August 23, 2013

What I Learned in My First Week of Homeschooling...

Okay, so it wasn't even a full week and I have to say....WOW...I give major props to the moms who have been doing this for years. Planning curriculum is a walk in the park compared to the complaining, negative attitudes, and "I don't wanna do this" nagging. Anyway, here are a few things I've learned in the first three days of homeschooling...




1- The feeling of wanting to pull your hair out is BOUND to happen. And it's totally okay. I see the damage that a traditional school did to our oldest. Especially in her attitude. Once she's told her answer is incorrect, she balls up and freezes, and doesn't want to participate anymore. She feels inadequate, and her mood tumbles down hill. I never expected such a snowball effect of emotions, but here I am, unexperienced, thinking of what to do next. The mother in me wants to tell her to "shape up" and "quit pouting," but the other part is trying to accept how she's been feeling in traditional school this entire time. My job now is to undo all the negative feelings that overcomes her when A) She gets something wrong or B) When things don't go her way. I've had to remind her a few times today that just because we are at home, doesn't mean she can skip out on the class rules.

***I've found implementing class rules at the very beginning has been crucial to our success in quick attitude fixes and overall attitude adjustments. If they know they rules are there, they have an easier time readjusting their attitude/focus vs. just springing rules on them when they break one.

2- Oxygen becomes your best friend. Take a breather. You're probably not the only one who needs it. Chances are, if you are frustrated to the point it's affecting your attitude (and theirs), it's time for a break. Your kids are just as, if not more, frustrated than you.

3- You don't need to drill them until they "get it." I made that mistake today and it only made breaking away harder. It turned from drilling her until she understood the math lesson to drilling myself that I NEEDED to keep on until she understood-which obviously wasn't happening. They will get it at their own pace. We breezed through the lesson yesterday that corresponded with today's lesson, but for some reason, she just wasn't having it today. Yesterday, she got it 100%. Today, she got it 80%. I just need to remember, she did get something. The other 20% can be saved for another day.

4- When they are stuck, have them go eat a snack. Don't push them to understand something they aren't ready to. If they are ready, but just not focusing, a snack can do wonders.

5- Don't ever stop having fun. Yes, there is time to be serious, but never stop having fun. Once you start to lose that feeling, it's time for a break. Love what you do, and it will show through your children. Anytime you start a new schedule, chaos is unavoidable. Embrace the chaos and work through it together. You will get farther together than each of you on your own. Remember the reasons WHY you chose to homeschool.

6- Before you start homeschooling (even if you've started already, it's not too late to do this), make a list of reasons WHY you chose to homeschool. It will get tough. I had only a preview today and I'm so glad I did this. There will probably be a time when you question yourself as to why you even THOUGHT you could homeschool. For whatever reason that may be, look at your list and rest assured that you are doing what's best for your child. You will have concrete evidence that will reassure you that what you are doing for your child is for a REASON. Look at your paper and read what those reasons are.

7- This is the most rewarding job in the world (besides becoming a mother). Yesterday was a great day for us. I opened up our math lesson, taught it, and our oldest absorbed everything perfectly. She understood and taught it back to me. No problems. The feeling it gave me was almost liberating. I felt like I was MADE to do this. To see my child understand a concept that she didn't previously know was amazing. I taught her this. I taught her this. I taught her this. This is what I was replaying in my head while grinning like a silly schoolgirl. Maybe it was the calm before the storm (today)? Who knows. Point is, she got it, and I helped her.





There will be many, many more lessons for me to learn. I'm glad this week was such an eye opener. In these past three days I learned so much, and I look forward to the years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment