Thursday, July 18, 2013

Postcard Exchange!!

Well, it wasn't my best day in the kitchen. It was my first attempt at making sweet potato fries. I should have known when I cut the sweet potatoes open that it would be trouble lol! I was expecting a beautiful orange color, but instead got plain 'ol white ones. Apparently, there are different colors of sweet potato! Hey, at least I learned something new today :)

Anyway, it was a major fail. Had nothing to do with the color, but it was the amount of oil I put. I never measure anything when I cook (can you tell I'm not a baker), so I was lathering it on. I guess it was pretty successful if you like mushy fries!!

..................................................................


The kids and I are apart of a wonderful Facebook group where we share postcards with people from all over the world. It's an amazing opportunity for our kids to learn the world! We live way in the country so we don't get postal service. On our way up from town the kids would always complain when I'd have to make a stop to the post office to get our mail. Now, they practically beg to go to the post office! We have received postcards from all but 15 US states, Germany, London, India, New Zealand, and Australia! We even participate in coin swaps and have swapped with New Zealand! Very exciting stuff! This ties in remarkably well with our pre-homeschool lessons as it really sparks their interest to learn more about the state/country. It gives us an opportunity to get on the computer and explore together. I, myself have learned so much and it's great to pass that love of learning to the kids.

Here's a typical stack of postcards that we send all around the world 



A picture of our (growing) state notebook. We use state fact pages that we found here for free Free State Notebooking Pages




A sample of one of the pages. We aren't done with it yet, but I just thought I'd show you a little preview of how awesome these pages are! Stephanie from Harrington Harmonies did a wonderful job!




We got this country page from another site. I can't seem to find it, but here's another great one Country Notebooking Page




And here's a snapshot of our international postcards. More arriving daily!!





No comments:

Post a Comment