Friday, July 19, 2013

Pray. Eat. Love.

I felt this was a more than appropriate title for this post, "Pray. Eat. Love." Yesterday was a pretty trying day for everyone in the house. Our Littlest is popping two molars at once. The two older ones were at each other's throats...and mama bear wasn't making it easy on anyone with her lack of patience, not to mention the big fails in the kitchen.

After stepping in a pee puddle last night and almost losing my temper (for the 2398402938th time of the day), I literally had to stop and "Pray." I looked out of the window in our bathroom and prayed. I stopped everything I was doing-stopped thinking, stopped fighting, just stopped and prayed. Often times, remembering to pray is what we forget to do the most. Prayer is a big part of my life-I pray in the morning when I wake up. I thank God for another beautiful day as I open the blinds in our home. We are working on praying before each meal. Every night I thank God for the people who crossed our paths that day and for everything He has blessed us with. While I was praying, a picture popped into my mind. It was the epitome of tranquility-exactly what I needed. It's the picture you see now as the background picture of my blog. Living in Hawaii, I know EXACTLY what it feels like to be in that very spot. Looking up at the sun beaming into the crystal clear water. You hear nothing, but feel an amazing sense of warmth and peace. My tranquil spot.

I was reflecting on that picture a lot last night. I changed my blog, changed my image on my iPhone, and loaded it onto my Facebook. I needed to make this picture accessible to my everyday life, just in case. I woke up this morning feeling refreshed. It was exactly what I needed. Can I just say that today we had an AMAZING time in the kitchen?? This leads us to the second part of the title-"Eat." And that we did. For breakfast I made the kids 100% organic whole grain oatmeal with fresh fruit and honey. They are used to breakfasts packed with sugar-cereal, brown sugar oatmeal, that sort of things. So I was really hoping for a miracle. I woke up before the kids and started my preparations. This gave me the chance to really set myself up mentally and physically. What a difference that made!


This morning we had bananas and blueberries! The fun thing is you can really make this your own-any fruit will do! Also instead of honey, you can use agave. We topped it off with a little organic strawberry vanilla hemp granola-our boy did not like that lol.



This is our big girl's creation-no blueberry, extra granola!



And our son, loving the blueberries (hidden underneath) with extra honey. He wasn't a big fan of the crunchy granola though.


.............................................................


The kids got to go on a movie date with Uncle D today, so lunch was a salad and a bowl of fruit for the Littlest and I. For dinner, I decided to try a vegetable stir fry. I never did a stir fry before so I was a little nervous, but I managed to pull it off! 



Here's my recipe:

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 6 minutes
Total Time: 21 minutes

Makes 3-5 servings
*served with brown rice

Ingredients
2 tbsp olive oil
tray of mushrooms (any that you prefer)
1 small head of broccoli
1/2 carrot
1/2 yellow squash
1/2 red onion
small bag of snow peas
minced garlic to taste (I love garlic so I used about 8 cloves)
pepper to taste
short grain brown rice
1/4 cup water

The Sauce:
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup chicken broth
sesame seed oil to taste
sugar to taste
*adjust liquids to amount of veggies


Directions
Cut and prepare veggies. Combine soy sauce, sesame seed oil, sugar, and chicken broth to make a sauce.



In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and garlic on high heat. Add mushrooms, broccoli, carrots, squash, and red onion. Add water. Cook for a minute, stirring. Add sauce. Stir frequently for about four minutes. Add snow peas. Cook for one minute then remove from heat. 




Serve over brown rice and enjoy!!

*Don't forget to take the strings out of the snow peas. Using your finger, snap off one tip of the snow pea and pull down to the other tip. Do the same for that side as well.


In the future, I plan on using vegetable stock instead of chicken broth. I'm trying to get through whatever I have left in my pantry/kitchen, so this is not completely organic. My veggies are organic, however the soy sauce, sesame seed oil, sugar, and chicken broth are not. Moving to a whole-grain plant-based diet, I'll be removing any kind of animal products from our diet. Just thought I'd add that in during this transition time. I hope you love this recipe as much as my family did!! 

And that's where the "Love" came in...when we are happy, body and soul, it shows in everything we do. 

"Live the life you love and love the life you live.."










No comments:

Post a Comment