Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Step ONE!!

Okay, so my in laws are finally gone (buahaha..love them to death, but glad to have my home back) and I'm back to blogging!! These past two days have been pivotal in the decision to finally making clean eating a priority! Yesterday I watched, "Forks Over Knives" and "Hungry for Change" and....


<<< OH MY GOODNESS >>> 
two words...Life..Changing...


There are so many things I didn't know. If you are like me and have always wondered if the benefits of going organic outweighed the bad, or maybe you've been wanting to learn more about reading labels, but just didn't know where to start or what to look for, then these movies are definitely for you. It's not a boring show with some dude talking about statistics. No. This is fact based, scientific research with proven results. They take you on a journey through every step as they illustrate exactly why and how America has become so unhealthy. I am absolutely appalled at what America has turned into and what kind of food they make available to us. Even the very principle of the food pyramid is grossly wrong. Everything you've ever been taught about food is most likely incorrect. It's so important, I'll say it again. Everything you've ever been taught about food is most likely incorrect. How many of you have grown up thinking that you NEED meat in order to have enough protein to sustain strength? (Raises hand) How many of you teach your children that drinking milk is healthy for their bones? (Raises hand) Do you know what is actually IN the milk you buy at the store? (Puts hand down) 

Shopping for organic food was always put on the back burner because of the cost. I'm suspecting our Littlest has a milk allergy. She was breastfed for 13 months and as soon as we introduced cow's milk, the eczema started. Today, we bought her her first half gallon of almond milk. She loves it! 

Something to ponder: Don't you find it funny that we are the ONLY animals who drink another animal's milk? 

**An excerpt taken from the filmmaker's official website: The feature film Forks Over Knives examines the profound claim that most, if not all, of the degenerative diseases that afflict us can be controlled, or even reversed, by rejecting animal-based and processed foods.

Learn about the synopsis here: Forks Over Knives synopsis

**An excerpt taken from the filmmaker's official website: HUNGRY FOR CHANGE exposes shocking secrets the diet, weightloss and food industry don't want you to know about; deceptive strategies designed to keep you coming back for more. Find out what's keeping you from having the body and health you deserve and how to escape the diet trap forever.

If you don't have Netflix, you can watch the first 20 minutes of the show for free just by clicking here: Hungry for Change website 

.................................................................................


I was so thrilled with "Forks Over Knives" that I went on amazon.com and purchased the cookbook Forks Over Knives Cookbook for $11.41 (I even had an excuse to spend a little more to reach $25 for free shipping, so I bought a few homeschooling supplies..go me!). There's over 300 whole food plant based recipes-breakfast, salads, warm pastas, cold pastas, wraps, snacks, dinners, and even desserts. Take a second to browse the link and see what kind of recipes they have. I was shocked!

Our first big step was actually going to an organic health food store. I arrived with my list and three kids. Although it wasn't the smoothest ride, all I kept thinking in my head is "this will be over soon...". I bought an assortment of things for us to try. In the Forks Over Knives cookbook, they give you a basic pantry list of things you should have in your pantry/fridge for the recipes. If you are looking for someone to hold your hand and lead you to the water, then this is it. They give you a list of ingredients and not only that, but the cooking utensils and everything you could possibly need to prepare/cook your food.

As soon as we got home, the kids were begging to try the milk and some of the goodies we just bought. Milk is their favorite thing, so of course that was requested first. Here's a picture of the different milks we chose:



The big kids tried the almond milk first. That was not a popular choice. Our Littlest seemed to really enjoy it though (thank goodness because the almond milk was for her). We didn't try the PureCoconut milk yet because I didn't want to waste. We all tried the Organic Valley 2% milk. What a hit!! If you have never tasted the difference between organic milk and regular milk, I highly recommend you do so. The difference is out of this world. Sadly, one day the milk will fizzle out of our diet as we would like to follow the Whole-Food Plant-Based diet, which means no dairy and no meat. Before you judge, please at least watch the previews of the show and see if you are interested. I would have laughed hysterically if someone told me not to give my kids milk. I went in with an open mind and the doctors and researchers laid it all out plain and simple, black and white. Evidence doesn't lie.

This is just a little snapshot of a few things we bought today:


Unfortunately, the farmer's market was closed by the time we came back from town so we will be hitting that tomorrow. In case anyone is interested, here's a snap shot of my shopping list:


Sorry for the crummy pictures-they were taken with my iPhone.

I will definitely be updating with recipes as soon as the cookbook arrives. I'm still stocking my pantry and refrigerator. To get a few more ideas, I've already googled topics such as "whole food plant based recipes", "organic vegan recipes", etc. Don't be afraid to check it out! If you know someone with diabetes, or someone suffering from heart disease, someone who is fatigued during the day and wants more energy (naturally and healthily), anyone taking a ton of pills to control high blood pressure (hypertension) or even depression, please have them check out Netflix and get the lo-down on "Forks Over Knives." Anyone looking for information on why those fad diets don't work, why you can't stop those hunger cravings for sweets, and other secrets the food industry doesn't want you to know, then watch "Hungry for Change."


***I just wanted to add that I am in no way getting paid to advertise these films or the book. I am so deeply shocked by these films that I feel it's my duty to expose the truth to everyone I can. I have children, and if you are reading this, chances are you do, too. You deserve the truth, your kids deserve the truth.***

2 comments:

  1. great post! I am excited for us to learn from each other!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm very excited as well :) So much more out there to learn!!

    ReplyDelete