Sunday, July 21, 2013

Put a Spin on Breakfast!


For breakfast this morning, I decided to try a recipe I found on a friend's blog. I changed the recipe a bit, so I'll post that as well. 




Pancake Puffs

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25-30 minutes
Total Time: 30-35 minutes

Makes 20 pancake puffs

Ingredients
2 1/2 cups 100% organic whole grain baking mix
1 1/4 cup organic milk (or almond milk)
2 eggs
3 tsp vanilla
bananas
blueberries
*you can add any fruit you love
syrup



Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, combine whole grain baking mix, milk, eggs, and vanilla. Mix until consistency is smooth and there are no dry spots. 

Cut the fruit if needed. I cut the banana into slices, then cut them into fourths. I left the blueberries whole.



Line your cupcake pans. You can also choose to spray the pan instead of lining it.



Pour batter about a quarter of the way and add fruit.



Add more batter a quarter of the way so that the entire pancake puff is half way to the top of the cupcake liner. You don't want to add any more than this or your pancake puff will rise too high. Stick in the oven at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. In this picture, you will see on the right side another cupcake pan. I didn't add any fruit to this pan, but left the batter plain and added syrup instead. If you choose to make this, take it out of the oven after 25 minutes.



After 25-30 minutes, remove the pancake puffs and stick a toothpick in the center of one puff to test the readiness. If it sticks to the toothpick, place the pan back into the oven for two minutes or so. The edges and top of the puff should be golden brown. If the toothpick comes out clean, it's done!



Let the pancake puffs cool. Pour some syrup on a plate (or in a dipping dish). Enjoy!!



And that's all there is to it! Simple, healthy, and it's something the kids will love! They loved it so much, they wanted it for dessert, too! And how could I say no :)

**Another idea for this recipe is instead of using fruit, you can make this a healthy, savory side dish for dinner and add veggies like spinach and garlic, cheesy potatoes and garlic, or basil and garlic....can you tell I put garlic in everything lol!!! I'm very excited to try that!! Now, can anyone help me with a good dinner idea that will compliment this side dish??







2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of making it savory!! I will have to try that!Love your new back ground picture!! It makes me want to just float through your blog!lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm excited to try the savory style tonight. And my picture...ahhhhhh (sighing in dreamland) it's my happy place :o)

      Delete